Big Easy Gumbo
- 3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1 pound Andouille sausage
- 2 pounds boneless chicken
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 ½ pounds onions, ¼” dice
- 1 ½ pounds celery, ¼” dice
- 1 ½ pounds green pepper, ¼” dice
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp shrimp base (can be found in the soup aisle of most supermarkets)
- 3 1/3 quarts crab stock
- 1 pound shrimp, 71/90, tail off, peeled and deveined
- 3 ½ cups okra, sliced
Cut Andouille sausage in half lengthwise and then cut ½ inch half moons. Cut chicken into ½ inch dice. Add 3 tablespoons oil to a skillet and heat. Add sausage and chicken and cook until done. Set aside. Heat 2/3 cup of oil in large stock pot and then stir in flour. Continue to stir until dark roux is achieved. Immediately add Worcestershire, followed by onions, celery, green pepper, spices and shrimp base. Sauté until vegetables are soft, scraping the bottom of the pot as you cook. While whisking, add the crab stock to the pot. Cook for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp, cooked sausage and chicken and the okra to the pot. Cook until the shrimp is just cooked through. Remove from heat and cool down quickly so shrimp does not overcook. Reheat to serve. Makes – 2 gallons.
Disclaimer: All our recipes were originally designed for much larger batch size. This recipe has been reduced – but not tested at this scale. Please adjust as to your taste and portion size.
© 1989-2019. This recipe is the property of Quaintance-Weaver Restaurants, LLC. Unauthorized commercial use is forbidden.